Re: [css3-flexbox] clarify the syntax ambiguity around unitless zero in 'flex' shorthand

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:20:58 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
CC: kanghaol@oupeng.com
On 09/11/2012 12:59 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> I suggest the spec say
> something like
>
>   | The user agent must parse the first unitless zero as a
>   | <'flex-grow'>.

I don't think that suggested text is quite what we want.  Here are two
counterexamples where that text wouldn't be correct:
  (a) 'flex: 1 0 0;'
  (b) 'flex: 1 1 0;'

In (a), the first unitless 0 should be parsed as flex-shrink (not
flex-grow).

In (b), the first unitless 0 should in fact be parsed as flex-basis (not
flex-grow).

Off the top of my head, I can't think of clearer spec-text for this than
what the spec already contains in that informative block.  But I agree
that we do need some normative text on this, whether that ends up being
the existing normative block or something new.

Thanks,
~Daniel