Re: [css3-fonts] FontLoader v2

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 18:00:14 -0700
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Cc: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Theoretical purity falls below author utility.  We shouldn't punish
>> authors by forcing them to write ".fontface.style" just because we
>> spec authors can't get our act together on the IDL side.
>
> Sorry, I don't buy it. You can't punish authors for not giving them
> something they don't have.

I don't understand.  We have two possibilities: we can make authors
write "event.fontface.style.weight", or "event.weight".  The latter is
shorter without being confusing, so it's intrinsically better for the
author.  The *only* reason to avoid it is to avoid collisions with
other attributes we'd like to hang on "event", but that's not a
problem we need to worry about here.

Thus, the obviously correct solution is to choose the latter option.
Anything else is punishing authors by forcing them to write more code
than they should have to, for no benefit to anyone but us spec
authors.