Re: Next step for DAP Ambient Light Events

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 13:30:54 -0700
To: Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com>
Cc: Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, Doug Turner <dougt@mozilla.com>, CSS WG <www-style@w3.org>, public-device-apis@w3.org
On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The feature is much harder to use without named ranges.  I think the
>> evidence in this thread may have shown that it's *practically
>> impossible* to use without them, given the large variance in detected
>> light levels.
>
> With that said, are you thinking that the lux value as reported by the
> device isn't that important?  Instead just use the lux range name?

For my own needs, yes.  The range names are more than sufficient for
page/app styling based on light conditions.  You should only need to
use the lux value if you're doing a game or something that wants a
continuous value.

>> As noted, it appears that only three levels are necessary - normal,
>> dim, and bright.  These three levels serve the vast majority of
>> use-cases adequately.
>
> What are the ranges for these 3 names?  is that up to the UA?

It looks like they have to be, yes.  For clarity I'd probably define,
in a clearly-marked informative section, what lux values the ranges
map to in an ideal sensor, but have a strong note that UAs should
(RFC2119 SHOULD) adjust the ranges to respect the device's own
sensitivity, so as to achieve the same results.