Re: [css-regions] Handling content overflow out of its region range

On 9/7/12 9:08 AM, "Alan Stearns" <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

>On 9/7/12 8:49 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 6:30 AM, Andrei Bucur <abucur@adobe.com> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> The spec is not very clear about what happens when content overflows
>>> outside the region chain of the containing block. There are some things
>>> that need to be better specified such as:
>>> - the overflow should be rendered inside the previous/next region in
>>>the
>>> chain or outside the region that's being overflown? I'm in favour of
>>>the
>>> first option.
>>
>>I'm not sure what you mean.  The last element in the region chain just
>>gets the rest of the content, and acts like a normal element would in
>>an overflow situation.
>
>I think the situation Andrei is bringing up is where content in the
>fragment contained by the region overflows the region boundaries. For
>instance, if you had two regions in the chain, an element at the end of
>the first region's fragment could be relatively positioned lower than the
>bottom boundary of the region. Or an element at the top of the second
>element's fragment could be relatively positioned above the top boundary
>of the region.
>
>In multicol, if something in the first column is relatively positioned
>below the bottom of the column, we have non-interoperable behavior. WebKit
>and Opera displays the relatively positioned content below the multicolumn
>element. Gecko displays the content in one of the subsequent columns.
>
>I'd like to spec Regions as following the WebKit and Opera behavior for
>multicol. If content in the region's fragment is positioned outside of
>region's boundaries, that's where it gets drawn. There should be no
>interaction with other regions in the region chain.

Correction: WebKit displays the content in one of the subsequent columns,
and Gecko and Opera display the content below the multicolumn element. I
have too many windows open, sorry for the error. The Gecko and Opera
multicol behavior makes sense to me, and I don't understand the WebKit
behavior.

Thanks,

Alan