[CSS21] intrinsic ratio, intrinsic values and svg elements

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 22:32:14 -0400
Hello,

I need a bit of help trying to understand intrinsic values and svg
elements; I'm less familiar with svg.

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/xhtml1/absolute-replaced-width-002.xht
(I will upgrade the doctype declaration of this test later.)

margin-right' on absolute replaced elements becomes a used value of '0'.
The 'width' is (used height) * (intrinsic ratio) if there is no intrinsic
width but there is intrinsic height and ratio." />

This test suggests that the svg element has an used height, that the svg
element has no used width, that the svg element has no intrinsic width but
has an intrinsic ratio. I can not figure this out.

What is the intrinsic ratio of the svg element in this test? And how do
you figure it out?

My initial and persistent thought was that the intrinsic ratio of the svg
element was 2:1 (2 for width versus 1 for height).

One other thing. An svg element is by definition an inline replaced
element and not a block-level replaced element... am I correct?

Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite