Re: [css3-flexbox] Flexbox baseline when overflow is non-visible

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 10:09:21 -0700
To: Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com> wrote:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-flexbox/#flex-baselines
>
> I cannot find any mention of what to do for flexboxes with non-visible
> overflow in the flexbox spec. CSS 2.1, on the other hand, says that if
> an inline-block has non-visible overflow, its baseline is its bottom
> margin edge. Wouldn't it make sense to do the same for inline-flex? What
> if the relevant item's baseline is in the overflowed area of its flex
> container?

Per WG discussion on today's telcon, we decided to go a different
route.  Authors are routinely confused by the inline-block behavior,
so copying it didn't seem like a good idea.

Instead, we'll calculate baseline as normal, regardless of overflow,
but if the element is scrollable, it must be treated as if it's at its
initial scroll position for this calculation.

Is this acceptable?  You can review the proposed edit in the current draft.