Re: [css-variables] How to spec the OM for vars?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 12:14:26 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 9/4/12 12:04 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> Yes.  Though I guess they'll be kinda broken there anyway if they're using
>> CSS variables....  But then it starts to depend on whether the CSS variables
>> are being used for progressive enhancement kind of things or basic
>> functionality.
> Variables are pretty much intended to be used for basic functionality.
>   They're a bedrock tech - if you try and progressively enhance up to
> them, you've pretty much eliminated the entire reason for using them
> in the first place.

Maybe I was unclear.

The issue that matters is whether the styles being applied via variables
are core styles without which the site breaks or progressive enhancement

So for example, are we talking "display" or are we talking "box-shadow"?

In practice, I suspect it'll be the "display" kind as often as not...