Re: Request for Comments: Proposal for Touch-Based Animation Scrubbing

On 01/12/2012, at 4:24 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM, François REMY
> <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
>> |  From: Tobie Langel
>>
>> |  Currently, the lack of events on which to prefetch and append new content
>> |  while scrolling makes it impossible to implement infinite scrolling
>> |  without re-implementing everything in JavaScript. Other UI refinements
>> |  (pull to refresh, etc.) suffer from similar issues. Re-implementing
>> |  scrolling in JavaScript prevents the browsers from carrying adequate perf
>> |  optimization, yields sub-optimal experiences for the users and is
>> |  extremely costly in engineering resources.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this proposal is not aimed at all at solving the 'normal'
>> scrolling performance, but rather at solving a popular hack around scrolling
>> where you want to run 'scrolling animations' (for example a cartoon bullet
>> enters the page from the left as you scroll further).
>
> Francois is correct.  This proposal does *not* solve "infinite
> scrolling".  I have something else in the pipeline for that.  ^_^

I think that's a perfect example of a higher priority item around
scrolling that I'd be much more willing to support :)

I'm looking forward to seeing your solution to this, which I assume is
some tree-constrained sub-layout thing.

Dean