Re: animate/transition height to/from auto

On 11/23/12 4:08 AM, Michał Gołębiowski wrote:
> I meant changing height between 0 and auto. Their computed values are 0
> and auto, respectively, so this value changes. Why can't this be handled
> by transitions? What am I not seeing here?

Generally speaking, transitions perform interpolation on computed values
right now.  So when the computed value changes from X to Y a transition
needs to be able to figure out a computed value s*X + (1-s)*Y for all 0
<= s <= 1.

The problem is how to do this for 0 and "auto".  What's halfway between
the two?  For example, consider this testcase:

The height of the outer div is 0, as is that of the middle div.

If the outer div had auto height, its height would be 100px, at which
point the height of the middle div would also be 100px (because 50% of
auto computes to auto).

What should happen halfway through a transition from 0 to auto for the
height of the outer div?  Presumably the height of the outer div should
be 50px?  What should the height of the middle div be: 50px or 25px, and
why?

-Boris