RE: CSS issue: Need fallback alternatives for CSS generated *text* content containing unicode glyphs

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 02:00:49 +0000
To: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>

[James Craig:]

> When we specifically asked about this technique at the 2011 TPAC Joint
> Meeting between  PFWG and CSSWG, this recommendation was supported by
> Elika, and her feedback was generally acknowledged and approved by other
> members of the working group in the room.
>
> 	00:12:53 [fantasai]
> 	[href$=".pdf"]::after { content: url(PDF.png), "[PDF]"; }

Right; so this is a new future development and not how the property works
today i.e. CSS does not allow this *yet*. I was confused by your statement
that 'CSS allows for' this. There is a similar syntax specified in GCPM where
such strings have nothing to do with alternative content fallback, hence the
confusion. Thanks for clarifying.

> Repeating Sylvain:
> > I would  expect "New!" to be used in this case if start.png does not
> load i.e. it's not  really alt text fallback.
>
> It's modality-based fallback, and a screen reader is a mode that would not
> be expected to present images in the strict sense. Said another way,
> images never "load" for a user who is entirely blind, so I think using
> this for alternative text is an acceptable expectation despite the fact
> that it's not yet widely supported in implementations.

It seems reasonable, yes.