Re: CSS issue: Need fallback alternatives for CSS generated *text* content containing unicode glyphs

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:48:30 -0800
To: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Cc: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:13 PM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:
> An alternate solution, that was proposed off-list, was for CSS to offer another property to indicate whether the value of the content property was considered decorative or not.
>         .expandable:before {
>                 content: "\25BA"; /* a.k.a. ► */
>                 generated-content: decorative; /* something like this? like adding aria-hidden="true", but applied to the psuedo-element */
>         }

In this vein, I'm not opposed to a similar approach, where we define
an "alt" property that only applies to pseudo-elements and takes a
<string> as its value.  The presence of 'alt' means that 'content' is
decorative, and you should read 'alt' instead.  Absence means you
should read 'content' as normal.