RE: Behavior of device-pixel-ratio under zoom

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 01:42:38 +0000
To: "Belov, Charles" <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
[Belov, Charles:]

> It would be a problem if a browser vendor chose to do that, specifically
> because it would require horizontal scrolling to read each line of a
> zoomed paragraph.  The spec needs to require that zoom-and-reflow be
> available.

No. We do not define browser UI or user experience. Many phone and tablet
browsers do not support zoom-and-reflow today. (But they support interactions
such as double-tap zoom to quickly fit the designated content into your
physical viewport and avoid horizontal scrolling, for instance). There are
just too many possible scenarios and environments - in terms of device types,
inputs/outputs, ebook vs. magazines vs. web sites vs. apps - to force
anything on all UAs. And, quite frankly, little evidence that it is needed.

> > In the meantime we still need to agree on the interactions of this
> > property with reality.
>
> > [Belov, Charles:]
> >> What would be nice is if the end user has the choice as to whether
> >> zoom occurs with or without reflow.  Specifically, zoom with reflow
> >> obviates the need to scroll horizontally multiple times in order to
> >> read a single paragraph.  On the other hand, zoom without reflow is
> >> good for navigation pages.
> >
> > That's a user experience issue that is orthogonal to the question of
> > how this property should behave.
>
> It wouldn't be orthogonal if the use cannot force reflow-type zooming with
> their personal style sheet, so that would seem (to me) to be a
> requirement.

Whether and how the property should react to commonly implemented zoom models
is 100% orthogonal to whether browsers should support a particular zoom model.

If you want to keep discussing this topic, please start a new thread. Thank you.