Re: [css3-values] viewport units (vw/vh/vmin/vmax) and @page rules

From: Seth Fowler <seth@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:58:34 -0800
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
On Nov 11, 2012, at 4:44 PM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:

> I agree with not doing (1). I prefer (2) (disallow some unit/property/context combination), but I could be convinced for (3) (only when a cycle is detected, some properties get their initial value to break the cycle.)

I would argue for ignoring declarations with these units in this situation unless there is a compelling reason not to take that route. It may be that in future versions of the paged media specification we'll find a use for them. For example, I can imagine that we might want the ability to specify that the preferred output would be for multiple logical pages to be tiled on one page of physical media - picture how printing Powerpoint slides is often handled. In this situation, I can imagine that there may be ways we could define viewport-related units in an @page declaration that might be useful, and I'd prefer not to cut off any possibilities at this point.

Thanks,
- Seth Fowler