Re: [css3-background] border-radius: none

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:31:05 -0800
To: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 6:52 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:
> A designer colleague just wrote `border-radius: none` (to override a less
> specific declaration) and wasted some time trying to "make it work" before
> figuring out that they needed `border-radius: 0`.
>
> Would it make sense to extend the border-radius property (and its longhands)
> to accept the 'none' keyword that would compute to the same as '0' ?

I'm not strongly opposed, but I don't like aliases that don't provide
clear value.  I'm not sure about this one.

On the other hand, "none" is turning out to be a convention in a lot
of properties to mean "don't do anything", and spreading the
convention around can be good for authors.  Right now we're mostly
using "none" just for list-valued properties, but a few others already
have it (even 2.1 properties, like list-style-image and
list-style-type), and I wouldn't mind making it a general design rule
that properties should try to include a "none" value that means "don't
do anything".