Re: Behavior of device-pixel-ratio under zoom

From: Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 06:28:00 -0800
To: Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 12/11/12 01:21, Rune Lillesveen wrote:
>     For years Firefox has supported a zoom mode that does relayout the
>     page (by changing the viewport size in CSS pixels). I believe Safari
>     has supported something similar.
>
>     I'm asking whether *that* kind of zoom should affect
>     devicePixelRatio and device-pixel-ratio.
>

> Yes, I think so.

AFAICT, it doesn't do so in Opera at the moment (12.10, Build 1652, Mac
OS X). I made a simple test page[1] to experiment with zooming, and
Opera resolutely insists it has a ratio of 2.0 (on a Retina display),
regardless of the zoom level.

However, an article[2] several months ago noted that "Turns out Opera's
value depends on the zoom level." I was unable to reproduce this, which
caused me to wonder whether there has been a change to the behavior,
whereby it used to depend on zoom, but no longer does so?

JK

[1] http://people.mozilla.org/~jkew/res/test.html
[2] http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2012/07/more_about_devi.html