Re: Behavior of device-pixel-ratio under zoom

I think it makes sense if the layout viewport is defines as something
smaller than the initial viewport (according to css-device-adapt).

Like on a "retina" phone you don't want to ever go below 2dppx, at least
for normal pages because the user will zoom in a lot, that will just result
in a worse user experience.

On the other hand if someone did

@viewport {
    width: calc(device-width / 2);
}

then it might make sense to set it to 4dppx. But then again I don't see a
big use case for doing this.

Kenneth

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 2:12 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 2012-11-10 19:48 -0500, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> > Should devicePixelRatio and device-pixel-ratio be affected by browser
> zoom?
> >
> > It seems to me that if the user zooms in a persistent way, it would make
> > sense to adjust device-pixel-ratio to match. For example, if the user
> > always views the page with a zoom of 2x on a 96dpi desktop screen, then
> > there are two device pixels per CSS pixel and device-pixel-ratio should
> be
> > 2.
> >
> > OTOH I can see that if the user zooms in and out a lot just to navigate
> (as
> > is often the case on mobile browsers), we might not want
> device-pixel-ratio
> > to vary.
>
> For mobile browsers that allow the user to pan and zoom around a
> viewport, media queries in general should not change as the user
> pans and zooms.  In general, those media queries should reflect the
> outer viewport that you'd get with a <meta viewport> or @viewport
> that prevents panning and zooming.
>
> On the other hand, for a browser zoom mechanism that effectively
> resizes the viewport, some media queries definitely should change in
> response to zoom (e.g., at a 2x zoom, height and width should be
> half what they are with a 1x zoom, so that the page layout correctly
> reflects the area available to it).  I don't have a strong use case
> for device-pixel-ratio here, but I tend to think it should probably
> match the other media queries absent strong reasons for the
> contrary.
>
> -David
>
> --
> 𝄞   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂