Re: [css-device-adapt] CSS Device Adaptation and Screen Orientation API

Hi there,

I think it makes sense having both. CSS is about presentation and I believe
that orientation is part of that, where as the lockOrientation is a way to
set the orientation as a result of a user action (which probably should be
restricted if the orientation is set via CSS).

Setting orientation via CSS works well together with media queries. For
instance you can make a layout of a online magazine that works in landscape
and portrait, but the landscape mode might not work well on sizes less than
the size of a 8" tablet so for those you set orientation to portrait only.

I don't mind adding support for portrait-primary, etc, but if we add that
they should be supported by the (orientation: *) media features as well.

Cheers
Kenneth

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the WebApps WG, we are trying to work on an API that would allow
> reading, and locking the screen orientation from script. See:
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/screen-orientation/raw-file/tip/Overview.html
>
> The use cases we wanted to solve with that API required us to be able to
> lock on a specific orientation (for example games) so we had to define
> more orientation values like 'portrait-primary', 'portrait-secondary',
> 'landscape-primary' and 'landscape-secondary'. Those values allow a
> better granularity for the orientation locking but also allow reading
> the exact current orientation.
>
> So, actually, I wonder if the CSS Device Adaptation would still be
> interested in keeping the 'orientation' property even if there is now an
> API that allows to do more. I'm not certain there is a huge use case for
> declarative orientation lock other than for web apps but that should
> happen in the manifest format. I am not trying to push to remove this
> feature, just asking.
>
> Also, given that Screen Orientation API defines a larger set of values,
> would the CSS Device Adaptation specification be interested in using
> those for the 'orientation' property?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Mounir