Re: [css-masking] 'mask' with resource and image references (was: [css4-images] support for SVG Paint Servers without element())

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 14:06:21 +1300
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> The current syntax for 'mask' is : <mask-source> | <mask-layer>#
>
> So it depends on the values passed to the property, if the 'mask-image'
> logic is used (same as for 'background'), or if we use SVG masking.

Just remove the <mask-source> alternative. "mask:url(foo.svg#abc)" gets
parsed to a mask-image value of url(foo.svg#abc). When rendering, since the
mask-image value is a url() with a fragment identifier, it should be
treated as a reference to an SVG <mask>.

Rob
--
Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the
Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority