Re: [css-device-adapt] Decoupling zoom and width/height

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 08:58:14 +0100, Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com> wrote:

> The current constraining procedure has a coupling between zoom and auto
> widths/heights (6-9) and extending widths/heights to fill the viewport
> for a non-auto zoom (10-11).
>
> [...]
>
> I would like to decouple the zoom from width/height by letting auto
> width/height rely on non-auto width/height and initial viewport only.
>
> [...]
>
> Proposal, rule-wise:
>
> Replace step 6 and 7 with:
>
>    - If width and height are both ‘auto’, set width = initial-width
>
> and drop step 10 and 11.
>
> I have not worked out the details for the meta viewport to @viewport
> mapping in chapter 11 to keep the same meta viewport behavior, but it
> looks doable. I'll get back to that.

This makes sense to me. Assuming a semantics preserving mapping with the
meta viewport is possible (which I don't doubt), I think we should do this,
and that it is a good time to do it. The only two implementations I know
of are Opera's, which is willing to change, and Microsoft, whose support
is currently limited to parts not influenced by this change.

  - Florian