Re: -webkit-background-clip:text and -webkit-text-fill-color?

From: Jared Wein <jwein@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 14:55:39 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com" <mtanalin@yandex.ru>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> > -webkit-background-clip:text is the devil.  It's a very silly
> > misuse
> > of background-clipping to accomplish a text fill.  I like this
> > functionality and think that we need it, but this particular
> > implementation of it is ridiculous.

I agree. Although I'm also confused as to the adding of these properties with no apparent plan towards standardization.

Hopefully something like this can bring about a property such as "foreground-image", acting similar to background-image but only applying to the shape created by text.

> > -webkit-text-fill-color is, as far as I can tell, completely
> > useless.
> > It does literally the exact same thing as 'color'.  I haven't
> > looked into our codebase to see what it actually accomplishes, but I think
> > it was just a cargo-cult addition from the SVG model to go along with
> > -webkit-text-stroke.
>
> AFAIK, `-webkit-text-fill-color` overrides standard `color`. This
> makes it possible to separately specify two different colors for
> browsers that do not support `-webkit-background-clip` (standard
> `color` property is used) and for browsers that do support it
> (`-webkit-text-fill-color` is used by browser instead of `color`) to
> keep text readable anyway.

Yes, this is my understanding as well.