Re: [css3-flexbox] Changing abspos placeholders to atomic inlines

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 15:06:26 -0700
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Cc: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>, Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]

Hm, I didn't realize the old flexbox did have that behavior in practice.

The reason we made the change is because someone (Anton?) pointed out
that inlines don't respect 'height', so the placeholder's actual
dimensions are 0px wide and 'line-height' tall.

However!  A linebox containing only placeholders and collapsed
whitespace becomes a phantom linebox in tables, and doesn't take up
any space whatsoever.  We could just do the same thing here, and also
achieve our desired result (that abspos placeholders don't contribute
to the height of items).