Re: How URL Fragments could interact with Selectors, MQ and CSS, incl. Variables

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 17:21:36 -0700
To: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, public-media-fragment@w3.org
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:54 AM, Christoph Päper
<christoph.paeper@crissov.de> wrote:
> Referencing Embedded Stylesheets

Why would you want to send an entire HTML page just to get at the
contents of a <style> element in it?

> Character Encoding

What's the value of being able to set the charset of a page
dynamically via the URL?

> Integrity Check

What happens when these integrity checks fail?  What's the use of
having them succeed?

> Media Queries

Is there a benefit to this beyond testing?  I can definitely see the
value of a Web Inspector letting you twiddle the values of MQs so you
can see how your page responds, but I'm not sure that I see the value
elsewhere.

> Global Variables

I already plan to handle this by merging efforts with the SVG
Parameters spec: <http://www.schepers.cc/w3c/svg/params/ref.html>.
Being able to define CSS vars for a referenced file definitely has
some use-cases.

> Style Sets

What's the benefit of this over just having two stylesheets?