Re: [css3-transitions] Why isn't the display property animatable?

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Andy Earnshaw <andyearnshaw@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> "Just changing the rendered width/height" isn't so simple,
>> unfortunately.  How does that interact with another animation
>> animating width or height explicitly, for example?
>
> Either I'm oversimplifying or your overcomplicating the steps, but let me
> ask you how `padding-top` and `-bottom` would animate with `height`? Why
> would you expect another animation that affects the rendered height of a box
> to be any more complicated than that?

You're oversimplifying.  ^_^

If you animate 'height', you're not animating "the rendered height of
a box" - you're animating the literal 'height' property.  It's very
simple and direct, with no unexpected connections.  Trying to make it
affect the "rendered height" would be just as rife with problems as
this display idea.

If you animate 'display', the easy thing to do is similarly just
animate the literal 'display' property.

~TJ