Re: [css-variables] Variables in @page (was: CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable)

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 14:17:18 +0200
To: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmx.de>
CC: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>, shans@google.com, sylvaing@microsoft.com, florianr@opera.com, www-style@w3.org, jackalmage@gmail.com
Le 29/05/2012 00:41, Sebastian Zartner a écrit :
 > As I understand the current model and pointed out earlier the current
 > concept is limited to the element tree. People won't be able to put
 > something into a variable that is not inside of it, i.e. @-rules
 > defining font faces, counter styles, page styles etc. Please let me
 > know if I am wrong in this point.

I think that @page could contain variables.

Many @-rules like @font-face or @counter-style contain *descriptors*.
Descriptors have the same "name: value;" syntax as properties, but
that’s it. They can not have !important and are not part of the cascade.

@page however contains real properties, as do margin rules inside @page.
In fact, in recent css3-page drafts, @page inherits from the root
element and margin boxes inherit from @page.

In their current form, CSS variables can be used in any property values
but not in descriptors. The spec probably should mention that.

--
Simon Sapin