[css-variables] $ for declaration? (not a variable on the left)

From: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 17:22:18 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
Apologies if this is dense...  I'm just wondering if some can explain
why having usage and reference match is desirable?  Tab has said
several times that he wanted it to match and some other at w3c did
too... Ok, I can respect that I, but can someone explain why it is
desirable?  It's non-obvious to me.

Several people (myself included) have raised all kinds of contentions,
some debated and deemed invalid and some not.  I posted some thoughts
advocating why not [1] but that thread quickly went downhill as $ on
the left making some people assume that either: a) that was a variable
reference (it wasn't) or b) not being able to have a variable
reference on the left was a bad idea (I think it isn't) and therefore
an argument against $ for declaration (I don't think it is, but the
confusion that ensued might be).

I'm definitely not saying it is _wrong_ or anything, just that I can
only reasons that it doesn't seem desirable right now... Can someone
share the reasons it is?

- Brian

[1] - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012May/0913.html