Re: [css-variables] allowed syntax of variable values (was Re: status ?)

On Friday 2012-05-25 12:26 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 2012-05-25 11:43 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> >> Sorry, I didn't fully apply the proper edits.  Look in the prop table.
> >
> > I guess the important part is:

> > actually defined anywhere.
>
> Yes, I expect to define them in the Syntax spec.  They have the
> corresponding tokens, <function> is equal to the function production
> in Appendix G).

I don't think we should add normative references to the informative
Appendix G.  I'd also note that this forbids the use of any new
units in the values of variables.

> > And, in particular, <function> being
> > defined according to the core grammar would mean this isn't a
> > simplification at all for implementations, but just constrains the
> > future syntax of property values (e.g., to not use parentheses as
> > some drafts of the background shorthand did).
>
> Improvements welcome.  If you think I should '(' <value> ')' valid, I
> can do that.

I'd consider it an improvement to change the "Values:" line back to
matching the part of the prose that says "The valid possible
values...".

-David