Re: [css-variables] status ?

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com
<mtanalin@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Could you clarify is it supposed to made it possible to use variable as property _name_ to make useful things like this?
>
>    /* Defining 'bp' variable as alias for 'background-position'. */
>    :root {var-bp: background-position; }
>
>    /* Using compact $bp as property name instead of long 'background-position' */
>    .foo {$bp: center; }
>
> As I've said before in this thread [1], making defining syntax same as reading one can cause ambiguity like "whether declaration containing $-prefixed property name is variable _definition_, or the $-prefixed property name should be replaced with value of a variable defined before".

No, I don't intend to make that possible.  There are *very* few
properties in CSS where one might legitimately want to do that.

In the future, with Mixins, *maybe* let you invoke a mixin based on a
variable.  But I'd need a good use-case for it, and that's won't even
come up until I try working on Mixins again, so that's neither here
nor there.

(In other words, please don't hijack this thread with mixin stuff.)

~TJ