[mediaqueries-4] Re: Media Query evaluation of properties appears to be undefined

On Wed, 16 May 2012 22:53:56 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

> The Media Queries Proposed Recommendation does not appear to define when
> a media property expression (such as "min-width: 200px") evaluates to
> true and when it evaluates to false.
>
> Some specific conditions (unknown feature/property, unknown unit, value
> feature) are defined, but I can't find an explicit statement of when a
> media property expression evaluates to true.

I can agree that the language is a bit sloppy, but I wouldn't go as
far as saying that this is undefined. The expected behavior is
quite unambiguous, even if the phrasing is less than perfect.

Take the Orientation media feature for example. It says:

"The ‘orientation’ media feature is ‘portrait’ when [...]. Otherwise
‘orientation’ is ‘landscape’"

This would probably be better phrased as:

"When [...] the ‘orientation’ media feature evaluates to true if it
is paired with ‘portrait’. Otherwise, it evalutes to true if it is paired
with 'landscape'."

I think editorial work on Media Queries level 4 could make all this more
clear, but I don't think we have a problem of undefined behavior.

  - Florian