Re: [css3-flexbox] order

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 23:01:37 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> The WG resolved to change 'flex-order' to just 'order', rather than to
> 'box-order'
> or 'display-order', which were proposed before the call. This name is *very*
> generic,
> and brings up the following questions:
>  1. Does it affect z-order?
>  2. Does it affect tab-order?
>  3. Does it take effect in speech media as well as visual?
> If the answer to the latter two is "no", then I'd like to reconsider whether
> 'order' is the right name here.

'order' won the poll by a wide margin.  I'd like to not reconsider it.

Whether it affects tab-order is an interesting question.  I'd be okay
with either answer.

It definitely takes effect in speech media - that should be reading
off the box tree, more or less, and 'order' should be manipulating the
box tree.

I assume by z-order you mean painting order (your term is correct, I'm
just being precise).  The spec currently says 'no'.  I'd prefer it to
say 'yes'.