Re: [css3-text] computed values for <length>s

On 05/23/2012 12:17 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Cameron McCormack<cam@mcc.id.au>  wrote:
>> (I'm just choosing a couple of properties from css3-text as an example.)
>>
>> The "Computed value" line for the tab-size property definition says
>> "specified value".  css3-values however says that "Child elements do not
>> inherit the relative values as specified for their parent; they inherit the
>> computed values."  Does css3-values override the tab-size definition here?
>>   Or does "specified value" mean "the same value that was specified but with
>> all of the computed value changes that are required elsewhere"?
>
> The latter.  (However, that "Computed Value" line is incorrect - it
> should say "as specified, but with lengths made absolute".  It's
> probably an artifact of the fact that the<length>  value was only
> recently added to its value.

Yep. Should be fixed in the next revision.

>> I ask because I wonder whether property definitions in SVG need to mention
>> <length>  computation explicitly in their "Computed value" lines, or whether
>> this will happen automatically if I just state "as specified".  And if it
>> doesn't happen automatically, whether all SVG properties ought to be
>> computing<length>s down to absolute lengths.
>
> Dunno.  fantasai, any thoughts?

The convention thus far is to specify explicitly that the lengths
are made absolute. I think the point of this is to clarify that,
e.g. ems are computed against the font size of the element they're
specified on, not the one they're inherited into.

~fantasai