Re: [css-variables] Using $foo as the syntax for variables

* Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>If you read my email, I agree with you.  Breaking a non-trivial amount
>of public content is a strong argument against making a change,
>because it hurts authors and users (and then, by extension, hurts
>browsers too).
>
>The fact that an impl has to change isn't a strong argument - that has
>to happen every time we make any change or addition to the language at
>all.  If a change is *difficult*, that's a moderate argument against a
>feature.  What I'm suggesting here definitely is not.

When I talk about breaking style sheets I mean breaking style sheets in
a way that is notable, not about a couple of browser vendors refusing to
make a change because it would break too much content they care about.

Again, the problem is that you are creating uncertainty about how CSS
syntax will evolve, one day you want to disallow comments in numbers,
next you wonder about comments in variable references, and as there are
many other places where you might want to disallow comments, I would
rather you would start one thread discussing what we should expect in
this area. Would you some day come and say ´p/**/:/**/:/**/before` has
to become an invalid selector? And would the CSS Working Group always
agree that wanting to disallow comments is a good enough reason to mo-
dify the never-changing core syntax? Or maybe it does not want to move
in that direction, and hence decide that it was a mistake to disallow
comments between sign and digits in numbers? So, how about starting
such a thread?