Re: [css3-text] computed values for <length>s

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> (I'm just choosing a couple of properties from css3-text as an example.)
>
> The "Computed value" line for the tab-size property definition says
> "specified value".  css3-values however says that "Child elements do not
> inherit the relative values as specified for their parent; they inherit the
> computed values."  Does css3-values override the tab-size definition here?
>  Or does "specified value" mean "the same value that was specified but with
> all of the computed value changes that are required elsewhere"?

The latter.  (However, that "Computed Value" line is incorrect - it
should say "as specified, but with lengths made absolute".  It's
probably an artifact of the fact that the <length> value was only
recently added to its value.

> This is in contrast to word-spacing, which says "as specified, except with
> <length> values computed to absolute lengths", so it's explicitly calling
> out the computation of <length>s.

Yes, absolutization of lengths isn't automatic yet.  I'm not sure if
there is any particular reason for this or not.

> Also, when it is stated that <length>s are converted into absolute lengths,
> does that mean any of the absolute length units are allowed (like cm)?

Yes.

> I ask because I wonder whether property definitions in SVG need to mention
> <length> computation explicitly in their "Computed value" lines, or whether
> this will happen automatically if I just state "as specified".  And if it
> doesn't happen automatically, whether all SVG properties ought to be
> computing <length>s down to absolute lengths.

Dunno.  fantasai, any thoughts?