Re: [css-variables] Using $foo as the syntax for variables

> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 21 May 2012 23:30:34 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr.
> <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >  Right now, the Variables draft makes variable names be simple idents,
> >> and uses the var() function to reference them.  This was *one* option
> >> for using variables, which I chose on the hope that it would make it
> >> easier for the group to accept the draft.
> >>
> >> Another possibility is to use a $ glyph as a prefix.  This was
> >> suggested by several people in the WG after I presented the current
> >> Variables draft, and it matches the way SASS does variables.  Chris
> >> Eppstein, one of the SASS devs, has been telling me repeatedly that
> >> the $foo syntax will be easier for devs.
> >> [...]

Obviously the $-syntax is a big issue of dispute.
While as web developer I find that syntax much more readable than the var()-syntax.
But why not use another approach? It seems my post at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Apr/0814.html describing different proposals got missed so far.

Sebastian