Re: [css3-syntax][css3-values] use of IRIs in url() values

* Cameron McCormack wrote:
>Bjoern Hoehrmann:
>> http://www.websitedev.de/temp/rfc3986-check.html.gz tells me the string
>> above is a URI, so you are asking whether you can use URLs inside url().
>
>Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough.  The document at that data: URI is:
>
><!doctype html><body style="background-image:
>url(http://räksmörgås.josefsson.org/raksmorgas.jpg">
>
>The bit inside the url() isn't a URI, is it?

It's neither a IRI nor a URI because it includes spaces, for instance. I
think one would generally call out IRIs as opposed to URIs for strings
that are an IRI but not a URI. In the example above, the url() string is
no URI, how CSS would handle that... Well, I think there was once text
in a suitable draft that addressed that, after I raised the issue like
http://www.w3.org/mid/3f3558e4.194525703@smtp.bjoern.hoehrmann.de nine
years go (member-only link), but it seems css3-values does not currently
address the problem.

>> If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the specification
>> does not adequately explain that url("http://example.org/") refers to
>> <http://example.org/>.
>
>Yes that's my concern.  Or what url("http://exämple.org/") refers to, or
>whether it's valid at all.

I think the former is ludicrous, while the latter unfortunately still
seems to be relevant. I suppose someone would have to check what the
current implementations do to confirm that the sane solution is still
an option, namely to use UTF-8 to turn the url() string into a URI. My
test case in the mail above probably does not work anymore though.