Re: [css-variables] Using $foo as the syntax for variables

It would also mean that it would be weird at best to use $ as the subject
token in selectors level 4, something which has been proposed.

FWIW:  Personally, I really liked the version in the draft.  I found it
powerful and in keeping with the rest of CSS (including not requiring
changes to the forward compatible parsing).  Referencing by $ does read
pretty nicely and its a standard syntax in lots of kinds of expressions.
I am less wild about the declaration, but I made similar comments when Tab
first shared the draft I think...

SASS currently has the advantage of a wide user base, so maybe there is
something to the idea that it is easier for some subset of current SASS
users... and I am all for the idea of proving things out and allowing
authors choices to help shape future standards from the ground up.  It
would be nice if the two could compete so we could see what would happen,
but the exisiting apis would make that challenging.

I don't think either is particularly hard to learn and I'm not sure how big
the number of people is who would have trouble with the version that
doesn't look like SASS.

However... if it looks kind of (or even exactly, declaration and all)  like
SASS, but there isn't perfect parity with what SASS does (calculation as
well I mean)... Isn't that actually potentially more confusing for the same
group of people?

Just a thought.