Re: [css3-align] The Great Alignment Bikeshed

(1) Justify the align choice
I agree with you about “align” vs “jusitify”. However, I didn’t come up with better name as of now. It took me some time, but I can now live in a world where “align” is about cross axis alignement and “justify” about the inline one. One idea come to my head while writing this, though:
  xxx-align: <xxx-align-inline> <xxx-align-crossline>?

  xxx-align-inline: [ start | center | end | ... ]                 = justify
  xxx-align-crossline: [ start | center | ... ]                     = align

  please note that I don’t care about the wording order in “xxx-align-inline”, if people prefer “align-xxx-inline” or “inline-xxx-align”, this is fine to me.
(2) while(falseAlignment==true)
I’m also with you on the ‘true alignment thing’. The first time I read the spec, I thought ‘true’ was just a toggle and was about to send a mail about how bad I felt about a boolean token being used as a property value. When I saw this was effectively an use of the adjective and not a token, I thought we could find a better name but, again, I didn’t find any. To be constructive, here are some proposals :
  force
  force-align

  no-start-align
  no-start-limit
  no-start-constraint

  allow-cross
  allow-cross-start
(3) if(self.self == self)
However, I continue to think “align-self” is not acceptable as a property name. Do you have to write “float-self”, “transform-self” or “zoom-self”, or do you use “self” in any other property? No and this is because it is logical that all properties are applying to the element you define them on.

Still, if “outside”/”inside” seems confusing to you, I may have another idea:
  margin-align              = align-self = align-outside
  padding-align            = align-inside = align
This proposal is based on the concept that aligning an element in his parent slot (cell in case of a grid) is like adjusting automatically his margin to accomodate remaing space. Similary, aligning the content of an element inside the element is like applying a special alignement padding.
  I suppose in this illustration that crossline and inline “content alignment” are set to “center”, and that the element has non-null padding+border and known size :

  I suppose in this illustration that crossline and inline “box alignment” are set to “end”, and that the element has a non-null margin+border and known size :

Also, while I think about it, this would allow percentages to be used instead of just keywords. align-padding-inline: 33% would align horizontally the content of an element so that 33% of the remaining space is to the left of the content, while 66% is to its right. I don’t know if they are usecases for this: it’s just a raw idea at this time.

François