RE: [css3-animations][css3-transitions] Make negative durations invalid?

[L. David Baron:]

> On Friday 2012-05-18 18:10 +0000, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> > Both modules currently require negative durations to 'treated as 0s'.
> > [1][2]
> >
> > We have a bug for it [3] based on a thread this past March [4] that
> > showed some agreement that such values should be treated as invalid
> instead.
> >
> > At the moment, a quick getComputedStyle() check shows that:
> > - Opera 11 seems to treat negative durations as invalid
> > - Firefox preserves negative durations
> > - WebKit and recent IE10 builds clamp them to 0s per the current prose
>
> Given the "Computed value" line, I wouldn't expect the clamping to show up
> in the result of getComputedStyle.

Missed that. That's a rather confusing choice, considering the clamping
behavior.

> It would simplify the Firefox code to either (a) make negative values
> invalid, which I'd prefer or (b) make the clamping be reflected in the
> computed value.

WebKit and IE10 currently do b). I have no strong opinion on either though
a) would seems more consistent with CSS overall, never mind that we treat
negative iteration counts as invalid in animations.