Re: [css3-flexbox] Fixing the "replaced elements may or may not be inline" issue

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 17:30:51 -0700
To: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 05/17/2012 12:47 PM, Anton Prowse wrote:

> OK, so back to your proposal... does it make sense that these special elements become display:flex-item yet non-inline
> elements remain/become display:block, display:table etc?

No, which is why I stated in the "Corollary", that if we add a 'flex-item'
value, any element with display-inside: block that became a flex item would
also compute its 'display' value to 'flex-item'. :)

(Essentially, 'display: flex-item' means 'display-outside: flex-item',
'display-inside: block'.)

> For now I prefer Tab's approach, and in future when there really is a
> display-outside:flex-item, /then/ we can replace Tab's approach with your one.

Indeed, we can do that as well. This just happens to solve both the
replaced items case as well as the "we're going to change the computed
value of 'display' in the future" problem.

~fantasai