Re: [css-variables] Cycling between values with variables

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 16:25:34 +0200
To: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM, François REMY
<fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> It's to be noted that it's exactly the kind of things the
> "child-align-outside" property of [css3-position] is doing.
>
>   myFlexBox { child-align-outside: center; }
>
> ===
>
>   myFlexBox { var-child-align-outside: center; }
>   * { align-outside: var-inherit(child-align-outside);
> var-child-align-outside: auto; }

Not quite.  The entire reason that 'flex-align' (current name) exists
is so that you can align the *anonymous* flexbox items that might be
created.  It also happens to be convenient to use when you're going to
align all/most of the children in a particular way, but that's just a
side benefit.  Without the anonymous flexbox items, we could get away
with just having you set flex-item-align on the children explicitly.

~TJ