Re: [CSS21] z-index and table wrappers

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 19:29:14 +0200
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
CC: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
On 11/05/2012 15:48, Simon Sapin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Section 17.4 has:
>
>> The computed values of properties 'position', 'float', 'margin-*',
>> 'top', 'right', 'bottom', and 'left' on the table element are used on
>> the table wrapper box and not the table box; all other values of
>> non-inheritable properties are used on the table box and not the
>> table wrapper box. (Where the table element's values are not used on
>> the table and table wrapper boxes, the initial values are used
>> instead.)
>
> Should z-index be added to the list? What about opacity, transform, and
> other properties that can trigger a stacking context? What about CSS3
> properties in general?
>
> The underlying question is: can a table box (not its wrapper) establish
> a new stacking context, or will that always be done by the wrapper?

Interesting point.  It seems "obvious" that z-index needs to apply to
the wrapper box.  I'll add this to the errata pile.

As for CSS3 properties, I suppose each CSS3 spec ought to mention if
they define a property that applies to the wrapper box instead of the
table box.  I agree that it seems like any property which causes a
stacking context to be established ought to apply to the wrapper box.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net