Re: [css3-flexbox] Computed value of "flex-item-align:auto" on the root node

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 14:09:28 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Hi Tab,

On 04/30/2012 03:51 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>  # Computed Value:
>>  #  ‘auto’ computes to parent's ‘flex-align’; otherwise
>>  #   as specified
>>  # [...]
>>  # A value of ‘auto’ for ‘flex-item-align’ computes to
>>  # the value of ‘flex-align’ on the flexbox item's flexbox.
>>
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-flexbox/#flex-item-align
>>
>> I see two ways to handle this situation:
>> (a) if there's no parent, 'auto' computes to 'stretch'
>>      (the default flex-align value)
[...]
> Whoops, silly mistake.  It should definitely be (a).  I'll make the
> change shortly - fantasai and I are hip-deep in the Pagination section
> right now.

I just wanted to follow up on this -- I don't think this
change has made it into the spec yet.

Also: The two chunks of spec that I quoted above are a bit
contradictory.  The former "Computed Value" chunk just refers to the
"parent" & is non-flexbox-specific, whereas the prose below it refers to
the "flexbox item's flexbox" & leaves it undefined what "auto" would
compute to in non-flexbox contexts.

I strongly prefer the more general language in the "Computed Value"
chunk, rather than the flexbox-specific prose.

Thanks!
~Daniel