Re: [css3-fonts] truetype collection

From: MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 23:59:03 +0900
To: www-style@w3.org
John,

2012/5/11 John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>:
> MURATA Makoto wrote:
>
>> Nobody has requested the support of TrueType collections in CSS3
>> Fonts. Somebody pointed out that GSUB of OpenType can eliminate
>> unnecessary duplication of information.
>>
>> I thus propose to explicitly eliminate TrueType collections in CSS3
>> Fonts. Since it is not clear whether or not TrueType collections are
>> OpenType, I think that we need normative statements for eliminating
>> TrueType collections.
>
> I think adding a general description of how to address individual
> faces within a collection of fonts, TrueType Collection or otherwise,
> makes sense

But your proposal (the use of a fragment identifier) cannot be
incorporated without registering the media type for TTC and
describing fragment identifiers as part of the registration template.

How about a note about the lack of mechanisms for identifying
TrueType fonts in TrueType collections?

Regards,
Makoto

> makes sense but I don't think it makes sense to explicitly disallow
> support for a given font format, the intent of the spec is to define
> behavior for specific font formats (i.e. OpenType) but not to explictly
> limit support to those formats.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

Makoto