Re: [css3-fonts] subscript/superscript variants

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 17:09:42 +0200
Cc: www-font <www-font@w3.org>
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Tal Leming:

> Are you saying that font developers should build things like this
>
> 	user input: E = mc^2
> 	output: E = mc²
>
> into fonts via OpenType features?

I’m saying that either fonts should support that or CSS UAs should (at the author’s and user’s discretion). The former would be off-topic for www-style and more people would benefit from it if browsers implemented that logic.

Actually, the example you picked, though frequently cited, is a border case that I’m not sure about, because the vertical alignment (and size) of the digit is semantic (hence the caret). I’m sure about “H2O”, though.