Re: resolution and device-pixel-ratio (was Re: device-pixel-ratio)

From: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 15:17:50 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
On Thu, 10 May 2012 12:31:16 +0200, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
wrote:

> fantasai replied:
>> I don't understand how [device-pixel-ratio: 2] is any better than
>> resolution: 2ddpx;
>
> As currently defined, these both do the same thing. I agree that we need
> a media query to do this—to detect the relationship of CSS pixels and
> device pixels—but I think naming such a media query "resolution" is a
> mistake. Also, as Maciej pointed out, ddpx is much less understandable
> to people unfamiliar with it.

It's dppx, of course, not ddpx. Being familiar with the "px" unit and
knowing what e.g. "dpi" stands for, I don't find it hard to figure out (or
remember) what "dppx" means. I don't find the term "device-pixel-ratio"
more readily understandable at all. A ratio of what, to what?

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA