Re: [css3-fonts] subscript/superscript variants

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 16:16:38 -0700
To: Christopher Slye <cslye@adobe.com>
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, liam@w3.org, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, www-font@w3.org
On 09/05/12 3:11 PM, Christopher Slye wrote:

> John, to what misunderstanding are you referring? It looks to me like
> ordinal é turns up in the real world often enough. -Christopher

[Note typo in my original message: it should be è not é]

Ordinal è shows up when people write première as 1ère, but that is an
error, and the correct ordinal abbreviation of première is 1re.

The standard French ordinal is e -- e.g. 2e, 3e. 4e, etc. -- except for
the singular in which one needs to distinguish masculine premier and
feminine première, which are respectively 1er and 1re.

JH