Re: [css3-flexbox] min/max main-size of flexbox

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 14:04:16 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
On 05/08/2012 04:16 PM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
> This contradicts the requirement of flexbox algorithm that flex items provide their "preferred size" (using "preferred" here, as it is really what they would have been without any constraints) *before* min/max-width/height.
>
> The case of flexbox being a flex item is an example of a case where specified min/max sometimes needs to be honored and sometimes ignored.
>
> How to trigger each option is an implementation detail. DHolbert says it is easy in his code, I figured it out too, but it has to be done and should be noted in the spec.

It's noted in the spec in the place where it says to ignore the min/max
constraints on the flex items. That's good enough. Table layout, for
example, doesn't say that "if I'm in a flexbox that is being sized in
step X of the flexbox algorithm, ignore my min/max sizes". It's the
responsibility of the flexbox algorithm to say "for the purposes of
this step of the algorithm, ignore the min/max properties on the item".

~fantasai