RE: [css3-flexbox] hypothetical size with orhogonal writing modes

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 22:25:55 +0000
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
 Current ED says in 9.2-3 "Determine the hypothetical main size of each item":

 "...unless the item's writing mode is perpendicular to the flexbox's writing mode
 (in which case the rules for a box in an orthogonal flow [CSS3-WRITING-MODES] are in
 effect)..."

 It looks like writing modes spec gives proper guidance for dealing with defined and
 underdefined inputs. However whatever issues are there with items in orthogonal
 writing modes, same issues apply to a flexbox with orthogonal flow direction.

 For example, if a vertical multiline flexbox is a child of horizontal single-line
 flexbox, and the horizontal flexbox has specified height, the vertical flexbox
 should be given that height as available space at this step. The output content max-
 width will account for line wrapping, just like what we want from vertical text.

 I am not sure what is the best text for this step in the algorithm, but I would
 expect that it is not strictly triggered by writing modes.

 Actually I think at the hypothetical main size step, all items should just have
 infinite available space on main axis and actual available size on cross axis
 (defined or not), and it will do the right thing in parallel and orthogonal flows.
 Working on a proof.

One more note on this: flex item can *contain* boxes with orthogonal flow and have same sizing characteristics as orthogonal flow (main size depends on cross size) without itself being orthogonal.