Re: [css3-fonts] subscript/superscript variants

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 12:33:07 +0200
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, www-font@w3.org
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
>  * fallback occurs across a given text run rather than per-character

Your argument and demonstration seems convincing.  It would probably
be very ugly in many cases to mix different methods of fallback in a
single text run.

>  * the 'font-variant-position' property is defined independent of
>    the existing use of the font-size/vertical-align properties to
>    synthesize subscripts/superscripts

I can't quite tell from your email what you're suggesting this should
do.  I *think* it's asking for a property that switches to sub/sup
glyphs if they all exist, otherwise falls back to synthesized, and has
no special interaction with line-height/font-size/etc.  This would
mean that existing <sub>/<sup> styling wouldn't change - it would
continue being fully synthetic unless we change the default
stylesheet.  Correct?