Re: Vendor-prefixes: an idea

From: Jonathan Snook <jonathan@snook.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 10:50:43 -0400
Cc: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>, CSS 3 W3C Group <www-style@w3.org>
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
I'm trying to understand how this is more beneficial to web developers over the existing prefix approach.

As I understand it,

-moz-border-radius: 3px;
-webkit-border-radius: 3px;
-o-border-radius: 3px;
border-radius:3px;

would simply be replaced with:

border-radius: 3px !moz-draft;
border-radius: 3px !webkit-draft;
border-radius: 3px !o-draft;
border-radius: 3px;

While visually more appealing, it doesn't seem to solve the problem that...

* prefixes/suffixes aren't dropped
* web developers will use an implementation before it's finalized
* web developers will target a specific browser without providing fallbacks to other browsers

If I misunderstood and that future implementations should actually ignore !suffixes such that we might see implementations like:

border-radius: 3px !moz !webkit;

…and simply have the suffixes ignored in final implementations, then I see some positives.

* implementations that don't change between draft and rec will work without requiring web devs to update implementations.
* implementation changes can be localized with separate declarations (like prefixes are now).

Could you clarify the intent here?

Jonathan.