Re: [css3-text] feedback on 'word-break: keep-all;'

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 13:52:13 -0400
To: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>
2012/5/4 Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>

> (12/05/04 14:22), Ambrose LI wrote:

[...]

> > But since we are talking about CJK here, I *think* I have asked this
> > same question before too, but maybe I should ask again: Suppose we
> > have the following example sentence:
> >
> > 我們今次的例會邀請到陳大文教授講解公@交通的重要性。
> >
> > and we want the following (where each · denotes a possible break point):
> >
> > 我們·今次·的·例會·邀請·到·陳大文教授·講解·公@交通·的·重要性。
> >
> > I expect keep-all to be able to accomplish this, but for some reason I
> > remember being told that this is not in fact the case. The explanation
> > in http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/ seems to neither confirm nor
> > deny this. Is clarification needed for keep-all, or have I missed
> > something obvious?
>
> Suppose you have a segmentation program that can insert zwsp(s) at word
> boundaries well, you could do that as a preparatory step and you should
> be able to keep words from breaking with 'word-break: keep-all'.

What if we applied word-break: keep-all to just a few selected parts of the
sentence (say just to prevent the personal name from breaking)? I would
expect that to work (without any zwsp). If that’s not supposed to work then
I think the text for explaining keep-all would need a fair bit of
rewriting.

--
cheers,
-ambrose <http://gniw.ca>